Game's accuracy

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Game's accuracy

Hello! First of all, I'm really excited for this game and I'm surely going to get it the playing as an animal got me, but I have a question: Is the game inteding to be somewhat accurate to real-life Pleistocene or are you taking some artistic licenses? Because for what I've seen there 're some anachronisms (like the Kelenken or what it seemed like a Paraceratherium) and other inaccuracies (Kelenken with claws), but I wasn't sure if these were intended.
    • Hello Gojiratheking106. Welcome to the forums, we are glad to have you.

As for the question on realism, the short answer is that we want to be realistic as possible without jeopardizing gameplay. But that's the standard PR response so I'll try to give you a little more information.

We are trying to aim for realism but we also want variation and most importantly we want the game to be fun. The Stone Age is broken up into multiple periods and not all animals were around during each period. We are picking and choosing in an attempt to include what we feel are the most recognizable or just what we think is cool :D .

When it comes to designing the animals we want realism but we also might make slight changes or additions to add to the game in some way.

I hope that answered your question! :)
      Stone Rage Public Relations and Community Manager
    • I think a lot of the real historical licensing we're taking is in the "gray areas" of prehistory-post-dino-killing-cataclysm where there simply is no concrete visual evidence of what things truly looked like. Did the Entelodont die off 25 million years ago or did it simply evolve into something else? I don't think anyone is going to ask the same questions in regards to a Stegosaurus :P or any other creatures that were clearly beyond just extinct after the cataclysm 65 million years ago. I'm not trying to confuse the issue, but the issue of "pre-history" is itself a rather confusing topic. 30 years ago dinosaurs were depicted in Jurrassic Park as smooth skinned lizards, now we're discovering that many of them appear to have had feathers! WHOOPS! What color were the feathers? What color would an Entelodont 25 million years ago be?

In a lot of ways, what we're doing is throwing artistic darts at a board and giving the imagination a bit of time to catch up to the idea that human history had some VASTLY different creatures existing alongside us...that were NOT dinosaurs. What we do NOT want to do, is provide an experience that intentionally veers away from what the Pleistocene would have FELT and LOOKED like - which is something we can only guess at with our current knowledge. The Entelodont probably never co-existed with humans, but it's more of a "probably" than a certainty like it is with other creatures. We're entering cryptozoology and history at the same time on this topic.

This whole subject is really fascinating - I mean just finding out this week that in Australia they are finding signs that the Tasmanian Tiger might NOT be extinct! That's crazy! It's a marsupial too, so it's not like some Tasmanian Tiger genes got mixed up with wild dogs then re-introduced to the wild...they straight up never went extinct if this is true. Makes you wonder, is there an Entelodont lurking somewhere in your local park?

One of the core values of Stone Rage is "Setting", another is "Variety". We definitely want to keep variety high while not destroying the setting and I sincerely hope the Entelodont doesn't do that.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von GoreMaster ()

• To be honest I don't really mind anachronisms, I suggested a bird that appeared 10 million years after the non-avian dinosaurs went extinct, but still I'll answer to that post (which by the way is awesome you took the time to type all of that):

A Tylacine is a bad comparison. Horrible if you ask me: This animal was a predator restricted in the island of Tasmiania and its extinction was caused by humans in 1936, and it wasn't considered extinct until 1986. That was just 31 years ago. It was this very morning geologically speaking, while Entelodonts were a big group of giant predators that ranged from Asia to America, that's a HUGE portion of land, and big animals tend to fossilize, so in my opinion the chances of an animal that big going unnoticed in the fossil record for so many million years seems very unlikely. I mean, we could enter in the realm of "But maybe", but in a very similar way I could say and defend that Darth Vader exists out there in the outer space. We have no evidence for it, but you can't say there can't be a badass Sith Lord with a black armor walking around his castle in a lava castle right now because there's no real evidence to prove that there isn't any. In this video it's explained more or less clearly: youtube.com/watch?v=ebb47QvvAKg
    • Well yes, the general idea that they still exist is kind of ridiculous and I totally admit that, but it is a fun "what if". However some of the larger questions about Entelodonts just remain unanswered. As they were essentially something like a mix between a Boar and a Hippo and maybe a Buffalo...but with the teeth of predatory wolves....what happened? There was no disaster to wipe them out. Did something else just slowly evolve into a better predator for the same prey? Did wolves and boars and bears collectively just whittle away at their ecological niche? Some of the larger ones were 5'9" at the SHOULDER - freakin monsters! Where did their genes go?